setuid/setgid problem, mail from website not sent

setuid/setgid problem, mail from website not sent

Bernd Plagge
Hi Sam,

thank you VERY much!
This was the answer.

Just for the record:
I had to downgrade my Debian system due to issues with the new Debian packages.
Seems that the permissions on the sendmail wrapper were not set correctly by the installation program.

Again, thank you very much!

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 03:03:37 +0000
[hidden email] wrote:

> From: Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [courier-users] setuid/setgid problem,  mail from website not         sent
> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 17:55:26 -0400
>
> Bernd Plagge writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm trying to send mail from website mail, or webmail.
> > However, sending doesn't work,
> >
> > Log entries:
> >
> > Jul 06 00:25:45 linde lighttpd[1182]: setuid/setgid: Operation not permitted
> > Jul 06 00:25:45 linde lighttpd[1182]: /cgi-bin/FormMail.pl: close sendmail
> > pipe failed, mailprog=[/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t] at (eval 9) line 108.
> >
> > The courier sendmail program:
> > s -l /usr/sbin/sendmail
> > -rwxr-sr-x 1 root courier 59120 Jan 26  2015 /usr/sbin/sendmail
> >

> > What can I do to solve this problem?
>
> Permissions on the sendmail wrapper should be setuid root, not setgid.

Re: setuid/setgid problem, mail from website not sent

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 06.07.17 12:43, Bernd Plagge wrote:
>thank you VERY much!
>This was the answer.
>
>Just for the record:
>I had to downgrade my Debian system due to issues with the new Debian packages.
>Seems that the permissions on the sendmail wrapper were not set correctly by the installation program.

I believe debian developer either knows what permissions to set up, or
should be informed if that causes troubles...

>On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 03:03:37 +0000
>[hidden email] wrote:
>
>> From: Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [courier-users] setuid/setgid problem,  mail from website not         sent
>> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 17:55:26 -0400
>>
>> Bernd Plagge writes:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I'm trying to send mail from website mail, or webmail.
>> > However, sending doesn't work,
>> >
>> > Log entries:
>> >
>> > Jul 06 00:25:45 linde lighttpd[1182]: setuid/setgid: Operation not permitted
>> > Jul 06 00:25:45 linde lighttpd[1182]: /cgi-bin/FormMail.pl: close sendmail
>> > pipe failed, mailprog=[/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t] at (eval 9) line 108.
>> >
>> > The courier sendmail program:
>> > s -l /usr/sbin/sendmail
>> > -rwxr-sr-x 1 root courier 59120 Jan 26  2015 /usr/sbin/sendmail
>> >

>> > What can I do to solve this problem?
>>
>> Permissions on the sendmail wrapper should be setuid root, not setgid.

Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody

Re: setuid/setgid problem, mail from website not sent

Stefan Hornburg (Racke)
On 07/06/2017 12:13 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 06.07.17 12:43, Bernd Plagge wrote:
>> thank you VERY much!
>> This was the answer.
>>
>> Just for the record:
>> I had to downgrade my Debian system due to issues with the new Debian packages.
>> Seems that the permissions on the sendmail wrapper were not set correctly by the installation program.
>
> I believe debian developer either knows what permissions to set up, or
> should be informed if that causes troubles...

Yes, please file a bug and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks
        Racke

>> On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 03:03:37 +0000
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> From: Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]>
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: [courier-users] setuid/setgid problem,  mail from website not         sent
>>> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 17:55:26 -0400

>>> Permissions on the sendmail wrapper should be setuid root, not setgid.

Debian and Sympa administration.

Re: setuid/setgid problem, mail from website not sent

Markus Wanner
On 07/06/2017 12:13 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 06.07.17 12:43, Bernd Plagge wrote:
>> thank you VERY much!
>> This was the answer.
>>
>> Just for the record:
>> I had to downgrade my Debian system due to issues with the new Debian
>> packages.
>> Seems that the permissions on the sendmail wrapper were not set
>> correctly by the installation program.
>
> I believe debian developer either knows what permissions to set up, or
> should be informed if that causes troubles...
I'd rather guess the OP had to downgrade due to the maildrop issue in
stretch, which I'm still trying to solve.

Kind Regards

Markus Wanner