Quantcast

"From " header

Nethub Online - Ming
Hi,

After enabling maildrop, I found that it will add a "From " header to the
first line of email, like this:

>From [hidden email] Fri Jun 26 06:27:19 2015

How to remove it or not adding it?

I tried "enable-keep-fromline=0" does not help.

I am using qmail, vpopmail-5.4.25, maildrop-2.8.2

Re: "From " header

Sam Varshavchik
Nethub Online - Ming writes:

> Hi,
>
> After enabling maildrop, I found that it will add a "From " header to the
> first line of email, like this:
>
> >From [hidden email] Fri Jun 26 06:27:19 2015
>
> How to remove it or not adding it?

maildrop adds the From header when writing mail to mbox files. That's the
format of mbox files.

Switch to maildirs.

Re: "From " header

Nethub Online - Ming
Sam Varshavchik <mrsam <at> courier-mta.com> writes:

> Nethub Online - Ming writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > After enabling maildrop, I found that it will add a "From " header to the
> > first line of email, like this:
> >
> > >From root <at> helloworld.com Fri Jun 26 06:27:19 2015
> >
> > How to remove it or not adding it?
>
> maildrop adds the From header when writing mail to mbox files. That's the
> format of mbox files.
>
> Switch to maildirs.

Thanks Sam,

I am sorry that would you let me know how to do it? Actually I thought
maildrop would auto detect by checking the destination is a file or
directory. Below is my maildrop simple config for testing and the related
home directory structure.

# cat /etc/maildroprc
SHELL="/bin/sh"
import EXT
import HOST
VPOPMAILDIR="/home/vpopmail"
VHOME=`$VPOPMAILDIR/bin/vuserinfo -d $EXT@$HOST`
HOME=$VHOME
DEFAULT=$VHOME/Maildir

exception {
        to "$VHOME/Maildir"
}

# ls -al /home/vpopmail/domains/vo.demo360.net/test
total 16
drwx------ 3 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 May 15 15:44 .
drwx------ 4 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 May 15 15:44 ..
drwx------ 5 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 May 15 15:44 Maildir
-rw------- 1 vpopmail vchkpw   14 Jun 29 10:35 lastauth

# ls -al /home/vpopmail/domains/vo.demo360.net/test/Maildir/
total 20
drwx------ 5 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 May 15 15:44 .
drwx------ 3 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 May 15 15:44 ..
drwx------ 2 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 May 15 15:44 cur
drwx------ 2 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Jun 29 12:02 new
drwx------ 2 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Jun 29 12:02 tmp

Re: "From " header

Sam Varshavchik
Nethub Online - Ming writes:

> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam <at> courier-mta.com> writes:
>

> > Nethub Online - Ming writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After enabling maildrop, I found that it will add a "From " header to the
> > > first line of email, like this:

> > > How to remove it or not adding it?
> >
> > maildrop adds the From header when writing mail to mbox files. That's the
> > format of mbox files.
> >
> > Switch to maildirs.
>
> Thanks Sam,
>
> I am sorry that would you let me know how to do it? Actually I thought
> maildrop would auto detect by checking the destination is a file or
> directory. Below is my maildrop simple config for testing and the related
> home directory structure.
Correct, this is a maildir.

Something has must be adding a From header before maildrop receives the mail.

Re: (no subject)

Nethub Online - Ming
Sam Varshavchik <mrsam <at> courier-mta.com> writes:

> Nethub Online - Ming writes:
>
> > Thanks Sam,
> >
> > I am sorry that would you let me know how to do it? Actually I thought
> > maildrop would auto detect by checking the destination is a file or
> > directory. Below is my maildrop simple config for testing and the related
> > home directory structure.
>
> Correct, this is a maildir.
>
> Something has must be adding a From header before maildrop receives the mail.

Thanks Sam. But I afraid there is no other application adding the From
header, because we tested "vmoduser -x" to disable the maildrop then the
problem gone. Secondly, we tested maildrop-2.6.0 without this problem, and
since maildrop-2.7.0, and 2.8.x, the From header is added.

Re: (no subject)

Sam Varshavchik
Nethub Online - Ming writes:

> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam <at> courier-mta.com> writes:
>

> > Nethub Online - Ming writes:
> >
> > > Thanks Sam,
> > >
> > > I am sorry that would you let me know how to do it? Actually I thought
> > > maildrop would auto detect by checking the destination is a file or
> > > directory. Below is my maildrop simple config for testing and the related
> > > home directory structure.
> >
> > Correct, this is a maildir.
> >
> > Something has must be adding a From header before maildrop receives the
> mail.
> >

> Thanks Sam. But I afraid there is no other application adding the From
> header, because we tested "vmoduser -x" to disable the maildrop then the
> problem gone. Secondly, we tested maildrop-2.6.0 without this problem, and
> since maildrop-2.7.0, and 2.8.x, the From header is added.
I don't know anything about vmoduser, or how it invokes maildrop.

Looking at my maildir, there are no From_ lines in any message. Either the
>From header gets added by whatever invokes maildrop to deliver mail, or
maildrop thinks it's delivering to an mbox file.

Re: (no subject)

Nethub Online - Ming
Sam Varshavchik <mrsam <at> courier-mta.com> writes:

> I don't know anything about vmoduser, or how it invokes maildrop.
>
> Looking at my maildir, there are no From_ lines in any message. Either the
> >From header gets added by whatever invokes maildrop to deliver mail, or
> maildrop thinks it's delivering to an mbox file.

Thanks Sam again.

I found the problem.

I am using vpopmail-5.4.33 + qmail, and I found that vdelivermail.c of
vpopmail contains this line:

        sprintf(maildrop_command, "| preline %s", MAILDROP_PROG);

After I removed "preline ", then the maildrop won't add "From " header
anymore. And I checked preline is the qmail binary which is
"/var/qmail/bin/preline".

Since I tested maildrop prior to version 2.6.0 doesn't has this problem, but
only 2.7.0 or later version, so I am not sure it is maildrop's handling
problem or vpopmail should not add "preline" before maildrop.

Do you think this is qmail/vpopmail problem? If yes I will report to
vpopmail community.

One last question, do you think I can remove "preline" before calling maildrop?

Re: (no subject)

Sam Varshavchik
Nethub Online - Ming writes:

> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam <at> courier-mta.com> writes:
>

> > I don't know anything about vmoduser, or how it invokes maildrop.
> >
> > Looking at my maildir, there are no From_ lines in any message. Either the
> > >From header gets added by whatever invokes maildrop to deliver mail, or
> > maildrop thinks it's delivering to an mbox file.
> >

> Thanks Sam again.
>
> I found the problem.
>
> I am using vpopmail-5.4.33 + qmail, and I found that vdelivermail.c of
> vpopmail contains this line:
>
> sprintf(maildrop_command, "| preline %s", MAILDROP_PROG);
>
> After I removed "preline ", then the maildrop won't add "From " header
> anymore. And I checked preline is the qmail binary which is
> "/var/qmail/bin/preline".
>
> Since I tested maildrop prior to version 2.6.0 doesn't has this problem, but
> only 2.7.0 or later version, so I am not sure it is maildrop's handling
> problem or vpopmail should not add "preline" before maildrop.
maildrop never needed the From line. Earlier versions removed it, if it was
there, but that was changed, when maildrop's internals were rewritten to
support UTF-8.

> Do you think this is qmail/vpopmail problem? If yes I will report to
> vpopmail community.
>
> One last question, do you think I can remove "preline" before calling
> maildrop?

Yes. maildrop never needed the From line.

Re: (no subject)

Christian Ebert
* Sam Varshavchik on Thursday, July 02, 2015 at 06:58:34 -0400
> Yes. maildrop never needed the From line.

AFAIK it's needed for mbox to avoid confusion with the message
separator. But maildrop doesn't do mbox, or does it?

--
theatre - books - texts - movies
Black Trash Productions at home: http://www.blacktrash.org

Re: (no subject)

Sam Varshavchik
Christian Ebert writes:

> * Sam Varshavchik on Thursday, July 02, 2015 at 06:58:34 -0400
> > Yes. maildrop never needed the From line.
>
> AFAIK it's needed for mbox to avoid confusion with the message
> separator. But maildrop doesn't do mbox, or does it?

maildrop does deliver to mbox files, and it will write a proper message
separator line.

Re: (no subject)

Christian Ebert
* Sam Varshavchik on Thursday, July 02, 2015 at 19:48:16 -0400
> Christian Ebert writes:
>> * Sam Varshavchik on Thursday, July 02, 2015 at 06:58:34 -0400
>>> Yes. maildrop never needed the From line.
>>
>> AFAIK it's needed for mbox to avoid confusion with the message
>> separator. But maildrop doesn't do mbox, or does it?
>
> maildrop does deliver to mbox files, and it will write a proper
> message separator line.

Yes, but what happens if a message contains something like

>From [hidden email] Sun Mar 23 12:22:01 2014

in the message body? I thought that was the prepending of > in
the body for. From man 5 mbox:

In order to avoid misinterpretation of lines in message bodies
which begin with the four characters "From", followed  by a space
character, the mail delivery agent must quote any occurrence of
"From " at the start of a body line.

--
  Was hei├čt hier Dogma, ich bin Underdogma!
[ What the hell do you mean dogma, I am underdogma. ]

Re: (no subject)

Sam Varshavchik
Christian Ebert writes:

> * Sam Varshavchik on Thursday, July 02, 2015 at 19:48:16 -0400
> > Christian Ebert writes:
> >> * Sam Varshavchik on Thursday, July 02, 2015 at 06:58:34 -0400
> >>
> >> AFAIK it's needed for mbox to avoid confusion with the message
> >> separator. But maildrop doesn't do mbox, or does it?
> >
> > maildrop does deliver to mbox files, and it will write a proper
> > message separator line.
>
> Yes, but what happens if a message contains something like
>
> >From [hidden email] Sun Mar 23 12:22:01 2014
>
> in the message body? I thought that was the prepending of > in
> the body for. From man 5 mbox:
>
> In order to avoid misinterpretation of lines in message bodies
> which begin with the four characters "From", followed  by a space
> character, the mail delivery agent must quote any occurrence of
> "From " at the start of a body line.
Yes, maildrop will do that as well.