journald logging

Bernd Plagge
Hi Sam,
thanks for a great product!

Times are changing and with the introduction of systemd also comes journald.
Seems that running syslog in addition to journald is not very good.

So, I switched syslog off.
Now I find imap and pop messages in the log but no delivery result or messages about incoming mails. It seems that half of the Courier messages does not make it into the journal.

Are there any settings I've overseen? Courier logging is turned on but maybe there are additional journald settings.

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,

Bernard

--
Bernd Plagge - プラゲ ベェアント
First Choice Internet Ltd., Tokyo - ファースト・チョイス・インターネット(有)

Re: journald logging

Sam Varshavchik
Bernd Plagge writes:

> Hi Sam,
> thanks for a great product!
>
> Times are changing and with the introduction of systemd also comes journald.
> Seems that running syslog in addition to journald is not very good.
>
> So, I switched syslog off.
> Now I find imap and pop messages in the log but no delivery result or
> messages about incoming mails. It seems that half of the Courier messages
> does not make it into the journal.
>
> Are there any settings I've overseen? Courier logging is turned on but maybe
> there are additional journald settings.
I'm not familiar with this aspect of systemd.

All messages from Courier get logged the same way, to the "mail" facility.
The only difference is that messages from the main courier daemon get sent
directly to syslog, while other daemons log to standard error, which is
piped to courierlogger, which reads them and syslog()s them.

I don't see anything obvious by perusing the various man pages.

Re: journald logging

Gordon Messmer-2
On 03/21/2017 02:12 AM, Bernd Plagge wrote:
> Now I find imap and pop messages in the log but no delivery result or messages about incoming mails. It seems that half of the Courier messages does not make it into the journal.

I'm seeing all of the expected logs, including courierd entries, in the
journal on CentOS 7 hosts.  Courier was built and installed using rpm
and its included spec file.

Re: journald logging

Bernd Plagge
>From: Gordon Messmer <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [courier-users] journald logging
>Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:58:31 -0700

>On 03/21/2017 02:12 AM, Bernd Plagge wrote:
>> Now I find imap and pop messages in the log but no delivery result or messages about incoming mails. It seems that half of the Courier >messages does not make it into the journal.

>I'm seeing all of the expected logs, including courierd entries, in the
>journal on CentOS 7 hosts.  Courier was built and installed using rpm
>and its included spec file.

Hi Gordon,

I'm running Courier 0.73.1-1.6 on Debian 8. Not sure if this makes a difference.

It seems that you're running journal without syslog, rsyslog or syslog-ng. Is this correct?
Does this require particular journald.conf settings?
Do you happen to have a link to the configuration description.

Thanks,
Bernd
--
Bernd Plagge - プラゲ ベェアント

Re: journald logging

Gordon Messmer-2
On 03/22/2017 01:32 AM, Bernd Plagge wrote:
> It seems that you're running journal without syslog, rsyslog or syslog-ng. Is this correct?

The default configuration for CentOS 7 runs journald as the primary log
recipient ("lsof /dev/log" will show systemd and systemd-journal), and
rsyslogd using journald as a message source ("sModLoad imjournal"
appears in rsyslog.conf).

The journal's content doesn't depend on rsyslogd running.  I see the
same log patterns with rsyslogd running that I do when rsyslogd is stopped.

> Does this require particular journald.conf settings?

It shouldn't.

> Do you happen to have a link to the configuration description.

Not that I can find.

Re: journald logging

Bernd Plagge
Thanks Gordon!