Quantcast

extension to email/localname

Michelle Konzack
Good day,

I am sitting on my line because I have EMails like

linux4michelle

and use extensions like

    linux4michelle-foo
    linux4michelle-bar

and it just work.  The Account of my businesspartner is the same  style,
BUT she can not create any working extensions.  The logfile say only

    250 Backscatter bounce droped
    success: delivered: backscatter bounce droped
    status: success

Now I am puzzeling arround, WHY ist works for me since ages, but  for  a
new accout not.

Both accounts have the

    ~/.courier
    ~/.courier-default

files where each contain the same line of

    |/usr/bin/preline /usr/bin/procmail

I should note, that MY extensions are NOT in any aliasfiles.   Also  the
mailinglist use the same style.

Any suggestions where to look for?

Thanks in avance

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: extension to email/localname

Michelle Konzack
OK, now I have to answer myself...  :-/

It works only for local accounts and not for aliasses.

Is there a way to get this running with an aliass?

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: extension to email/localname

Lindsay Haisley-3
On Mon, 2017-05-01 at 13:19 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I am sitting on my line because I have EMails like
>
> linux4michelle
>
> and use extensions like
>
>     linux4michelle-foo
>     linux4michelle-bar
>
> and it just work.  The Account of my businesspartner is the
> same  style,
> BUT she can not create any working extensions.  The logfile say only
>
>     250 Backscatter bounce droped
>     success: delivered: backscatter bounce droped
>     status: success
>
> Now I am puzzeling arround, WHY ist works for me since ages,
> but  for  a
> new accout not.
>
> Both accounts have the
>
>     ~/.courier
>     ~/.courier-default
>
> files where each contain the same line of
>
>     |/usr/bin/preline /usr/bin/procmail
>
> I should note, that MY extensions are NOT in any
> aliasfiles.   Also  the
> mailinglist use the same style.
>
> Any suggestions where to look for?

I don't know if this helps you, but my setup for my personal mail and
toss-off addresses is quite simple, and just works.

I have a ~/.courier file which is unrelated to my toss-off addresses,
and does a number of things with filtering, but it's beside the point,
and my toss-off addresses don't depend on it.

If I want to create a toss-off (temporary) address, I just touch the
file ~/.courier-xxx ("xxx" can be anything) to create an empty file
with the given name and mail to [hidden email] will be delivered to
[hidden email]. The .courier-xxx file is an empty
file, just a marker telling courier that [hidden email] is a
legitimate address. If I delete ~/.courier-xxx then email to fmouse-xxx
@fmp.com gets bounced as an unknown address. I don't have a .courier-
default file, nor do I send emails through /usr/bin/preline in the
.courier-xxx files.

As far as the backscatter bounce is concerned, it's probably a local
delivery problem. Check your mail log prior to the entry you quote and
see if you can determine the reason the backscatter is generated. See
the thread at
http://courier-mail-server.10983.n7.nabble.com/Weird-backscatter-bounce-td4856.html

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "UNIX is user-friendly, it just
FMP Computer Services |       chooses its friends."

Re: extension to email/localname

Michelle Konzack
Hello Lindsay,

On 2017-05-01 12:10:36 Lindsay Haisley hacked into the keyboard:
> I don't know if this helps you, but my setup for my personal mail and
> toss-off addresses is quite simple, and just works.
>
> I have a ~/.courier file which is unrelated to my toss-off addresses,
> and does a number of things with filtering, but it's beside the point,
> and my toss-off addresses don't depend on it.
>
> If I want to create a toss-off (temporary) address, I just touch the
> file ~/.courier-xxx ("xxx" can be anything) to create an empty file

I  have  just  discovered,  that  if  user  "www-data"  touch  the  file
"~/.courier-foo" courier accept it and does not complain  about  a  from
file owner!

I allowed my PHP scripts to create/modify/delete files in the user homes
but only if they do not exist.

It seems, this way the problem is solved!

Now I have only to solv the problems with aliasses,  because  I  do  not
like to expose my "local account" to spammers.

Mean, my account is <michelle.konzack>  I can create any attachments  to
it, but it will not work for my alias <linux4michelle>.

It would be very handy, if courier support it.

Thanks for your time

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: extension to email/localname

Ángel González
On 2017-05-02 at 09:12 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> I  have  just  discovered,  that  if  user  "www-data"  touch  the  file
> "~/.courier-foo" courier accept it and does not complain  about  a  from
> file owner!
>
> I allowed my PHP scripts to create/modify/delete files in the user homes
> but only if they do not exist.

"Only if they do not exist"? I guess you mean that the php file itself
checks it doesn't exist before proceeding, rather than an ACL only
allowing that.

> It seems, this way the problem is solved!
>
> Now I have only to solv the problems with aliasses,  because  I  do  not
> like to expose my "local account" to spammers.
>
> Mean, my account is <michelle.konzack>  I can create any attachments  to
> it, but it will not work for my alias <linux4michelle>.
>
> It would be very handy, if courier support it.
>
> Thanks for your time

Create a user entry for linux4michelle (so it is no longer an alias),
with different home but the same Maildir.

Regards