error 75, error 164

Russell L. Harris-2
I am receiving the following error message:

Delivery error (command maildrop 18470 error (75, .mailfilter(164):
  Syntax error after ))) msg 4/1300 (24935 bytes) from
  <houston-bounces+rlharris=[hidden email]>, delivery error
  (command maildrop 18470 error (75, .mailfilter(164): Syntax error
  after )))

but I have not yet spotted a syntax error in ".mailfilter".

I do not know where to look for the definitions of errors number 75 and
164; searching with Google has not provided an answer.

And I am confused by the mismatch in the number of parentheses in the
error message; there are only three opening parentheses but four closing
parenthesis:

   (command
   (75
   (164

   164)
   after )))

Am I misreading the error message?

RLH

Re: error 75, error 164

Ed Neville
On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 03:10:39PM -0500, [hidden email] wrote:

> And I am confused by the mismatch in the number of parentheses in the
> error message; there are only three opening parentheses but four closing
> parenthesis:
>
>    (command
>    (75
>    (164
>
>    164)
>    after )))
>
> Am I misreading the error message?

Nope. You have an error after a ) in your .mailfilter, is how I'd read
it anyway.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/

Re: error 75, error 164

Russell L. Harris-2
On Mon, August 10, 2015 3:29 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 03:10:39PM -0500, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Nope. You have an error after a ) in your .mailfilter, is how I'd read
> it anyway.

As a test, I edited the getmailrc file to deliver a few messages
directly to a maildir.  The messages were delivered, and no error was
reported.  So it does appear as if there is an error in .mailfilter.

By the way, is the following expression valid?

   if ( /^(To:|From:).*(billing|info|support)@oplink/ )

Possibly also pertinent:

I am returning to Mutt on the desktop after a couple of years of agony
in which I had access only to webmail provided by my ISP.  Over the
weekend I have been working on downloading a backlog of mail from the
server of the ISP, and after successful downloading hundreds of
messages, suddenly I received nothing but errors.

One message which kept appearing (possibly the result of bounces) had
a malformed header.  Using the webmail interface, I searched for the
message and found numerous copies, which I deleted.  I also deleted
anything messages which obvious were spam or of no interest to me.
Afterward, the download resumed without difficulty.

RLH

Re: error 75, error 164

[hidden email] writes:

> I am receiving the following error message:
>
> Delivery error (command maildrop 18470 error (75, .mailfilter(164):
>   Syntax error after ))) msg 4/1300 (24935 bytes) from
>   <houston-bounces+rlharris=[hidden email]>, delivery error
>   (command maildrop 18470 error (75, .mailfilter(164): Syntax error
>   after )))
>
> but I have not yet spotted a syntax error in ".mailfilter".
>
> I do not know where to look for the definitions of errors number 75 and
> 164; searching with Google has not provided an answer.
75 refers to the exit code, which is EX_TEMPFAIL, which is documented in
/usr/include/sysexits.h, it's part of the general email system domain
knowledge.

164 is referring to line #164 in the .mailfilter file.

> And I am confused by the mismatch in the number of parentheses in the
> error message; there are only three opening parentheses but four closing
> parenthesis:
>
>    (command
>    (75
>    (164
>
>    164)
>    after )))
>
> Am I misreading the error message?
That question should be directed to whatever issued this error message. The
formatting looks strange, almost LISP-ian. Almost looks like this is from
emacs, and emacs is rigged to invoke maildrop to filter incoming mail, and
emacs fails to properly parse maildrop's error message.

Re: error 75, error 164

Russell L. Harris-2
On Mon, August 10, 2015 6:13 pm, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> [hidden email] writes:
>

>> (command
>> (75
>> (164
>>
>> 164)
>> after )))

> That question should be directed to whatever issued this error message.
> The formatting looks strange, almost LISP-ian. Almost looks like this is
> from emacs...

After handing the mail to maildrop, getmail returned the error message:

   Delivery error (command maildrop 18470 error (75, .mailfilter(164):
   Syntax error after ))) msg 4/1300 (24935 bytes) from
   <houston-bounces+rlharris=[hidden email]>, delivery error
   (command maildrop 18470 error (75, .mailfilter(164): Syntax error
   after )))

I merely was showing fragments of the error message, in an attempt to make
it easy to count the instances of "(* and the instances of ")".  I assume
that there should be one ")" for each "(".

But there are only three instances of "(":  one before the word "command",
one before the number "75", and one before the number "164*.  So there
appears to be an un-matched instance of ")".

RLH

Re: error 75, error 164

Sam Varshavchik
[hidden email] writes:

> After handing the mail to maildrop, getmail returned the error message:
>
>    Delivery error (command maildrop 18470 error (75, .mailfilter(164):
>    Syntax error after ))) msg 4/1300 (24935 bytes) from
>    <houston-bounces+rlharris=[hidden email]>, delivery error
>    (command maildrop 18470 error (75, .mailfilter(164): Syntax error
>    after )))
>
> I merely was showing fragments of the error message, in an attempt to make
> it easy to count the instances of "(* and the instances of ")".  I assume
> that there should be one ")" for each "(".
>
> But there are only three instances of "(":  one before the word "command",
> one before the number "75", and one before the number "164*.  So there
> appears to be an un-matched instance of ")".
The exact error message from maildrop:

Syntax error after )

Maildrop is reporting a syntax error after the occurence of the closing
parenthesis in the .mailfilter file.

This is getting confusing due to getmail's additional reformatting of the
error message.

Re: error 75, error 164 -- SOLVED

Russell L. Harris-2
On Mon, August 10, 2015 6:57 pm, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> The exact error message from maildrop:
>
> Syntax error after )
>
> Maildrop is reporting a syntax error after the occurrence of the closing
> parenthesis in the .mailfilter file.
>
> This is getting confusing due to getmail's additional reformatting of the
> error message.

I thank you, Sam.  Your previous message gave me the information I
needed; you said:

> 164 is referring to line #164 in the .mailfilter file.

After staring at line 164 for several minutes, I realized that, after
changing a delivery rule from:

    if ( /(^(To|From):.*vendor) \
       |  (^Subject:.*package)/ \
       )

    if ( /^(To|From):.*vendor/ ) \

I forgot to remove the trailing "\".

And, as you just pointed out, the error occurred following the closing
parenthesis.

RLH