Quantcast

Throw-Away EMails

Michelle Konzack
Hello,

what is the easiest way to allow users to creat throw-away emails?

I do this somehow over aliases, but when I  change/delete  one,  I  have
always to run makealiases.  I do not really like  the  idea,  to  run  a
bashscript from cron all 5 min which check the users aliasses files  and
execute makealiasses if a changement has been detected.

Thanks

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: Throw-Away EMails

Alessandro Vesely
On Mon 01/May/2017 13:43:09 +0200 Michelle Konzack wrote:

> what is the easiest way to allow users to creat throw-away emails?
>
> I do this somehow over aliases, but when I  change/delete  one,  I  have
> always to run makealiases.  I do not really like  the  idea,  to  run  a
> bashscript from cron all 5 min which check the users aliasses files  and
> execute makealiasses if a changement has been detected.

Best thing is to have an utility synthesize a throw-away address and insert it
directly in the users database, possibly along with some annotation.  Rather
than develop that, I subscribed to trashmail.com.  The feature I had little
desire to develop and maintain is the firefox addon that implements the "paste
disposable address" command.  It is too convenient not to use it.

I asked them about getting their functionality on my server, and Stephen replied:

    Using its own server is better to have the full control. The only solution
    I see for that would be to install a full clone of TrashMail.net with its
    complete API. I was thinking already about that to propose this as
    business solution. [...]
         https://trashmail.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5421&start=15#p7957

Ale

Re: Throw-Away EMails

Ángel González
On 2017-05-01 at 13:43 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Hello,
>
> what is the easiest way to allow users to creat throw-away emails?
>
> I do this somehow over aliases, but when I  change/delete  one,  I  have
> always to run makealiases.  I do not really like  the  idea,  to  run  a
> bashscript from cron all 5 min which check the users aliasses files  and
> execute makealiasses if a changement has been detected.
>
> Thanks

I would probably do it through entries in the database db. But if you
already have "something" editing the aliases file, why not have it run
makealiases, too?

Re: Throw-Away EMails

Fred Drueck
Would it be sufficient to do something with the .courier-aliases?  Tell your users to create something like:

.courier-forwardtodevnull

containing:

| cat > /dev/null

or whatever you want.  I've occasionally done this myself for mail I don't want to receive.

-Fred

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Michelle Konzack <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

what is the easiest way to allow users to creat throw-away emails?

I do this somehow over aliases, but when I  change/delete  one,  I  have
always to run makealiases.  I do not really like  the  idea,  to  run  a
bashscript from cron all 5 min which check the users aliasses files  and
execute makealiasses if a changement has been detected.

Thanks

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: Throw-Away EMails

Michelle Konzack
Good morning,

On 2017-05-01 23:14:11 Ángel hacked into the keyboard:
> I would probably do it through entries in the database db. But if you
> already have "something" editing the aliases file, why not have it run
> makealiases, too?

I have gotten strange errors while running makealiasses from  a  script.
It seems (on Debian/Wheeze) makealiasses do not like to run from scripts
and need a terminal.

I have to check this again, but I am currently very bussy  with  my  new
Bio Farm in Estonia   ;-)   since I get in some month 1500  apple/cherry
trees.

Over the winter I have nothing to do and can go back deeper into IT.

On 2017-05-02 00:18:09 Fred Drueck hacked into the keyboard:

> Would it be sufficient to do something with the .courier-aliases?  Tell
> your users to create something like:
>
> .courier-forwardtodevnull
>
> containing:
>
> | cat > /dev/null
>
> or whatever you want.  I've occasionally done this myself for mail I don't
> want to receive.
I am user "michelle.konzack" on the system and my account has the files

~/.courier
~/.courier-default
~/.courier-aliasses  (which is symlinked into /etc/courier/aliasses/ )

the "~/.courier-default" point to a special filter which  can  sort  out
which mails I want to see and are sorted into mailfolder /dev/null  ;-)

However, I have installed a traffic counter on this  filter  to  get  an
idea, how much spam I receive over the last 9y since  I  have  installed
the domain/server, this mean if  I  allow  all  users  to  do  this,  my
mailserver would accept arround 300-500 GByte of additional spam.

Removing "~/.courier-default" and use  instead  "~/.courier-<something>"
would be a better  solution  but  require  root  rights  (sudo?)  to  be
installed from a webinterface...

Thanks for your time

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: Throw-Away EMails

Sam Varshavchik
Michelle Konzack writes:

> Removing "~/.courier-default" and use  instead  "~/.courier-<something>"
> would be a better  solution  but  require  root  rights  (sudo?)  to  be
> installed from a webinterface...

Well, it requires the rights to create files in ~; not root but whichever
userid owns that directory.

Re: Throw-Away EMails

Michelle Konzack
On 2017-05-02 06:58:40 Sam Varshavchik hacked into the keyboard:
> Michelle Konzack writes:
>
> >Removing "~/.courier-default" and use  instead  "~/.courier-<something>"
> >would be a better  solution  but  require  root  rights  (sudo?)  to  be
> >installed from a webinterface...
>
> Well, it requires the rights to create files in ~; not root but
> whichever userid owns that directory.

Already discovered...  ;-)

I was not aware, that courier allow this.

Michelle Konzack writes:

> On 2017-05-02 06:58:40 Sam Varshavchik hacked into the keyboard:
> > Michelle Konzack writes:
> >
> > >Removing "~/.courier-default" and use  instead  "~/.courier-<something>"
> > >would be a better  solution  but  require  root  rights  (sudo?)  to  be
> > >installed from a webinterface...
> >
> > Well, it requires the rights to create files in ~; not root but
> > whichever userid owns that directory.
>
> Already discovered...  ;-)
>
> I was not aware, that courier allow this.
What, the existence of the .courier files themselves? They've been around
for decades, with their functionality identical to the same functionality in
Qmail, which has the same exact concept.

The fact that they can be created at will – we'll they're just files,
that's all.

Re: Throw-Away EMails

Michelle Konzack
On 2017-05-02 08:20:35 Sam Varshavchik hacked into the keyboard:
> Michelle Konzack writes:
> >I was not aware, that courier allow this.
>
> What, the existence of the .courier files themselves? They've been
> around for decades, with their functionality identical to the same
> functionality in Qmail, which has the same exact concept.

No, that courier accept in the USER_HOME a file,
which is not owned by the USER.

> The fact that they can be created at will – we'll they're just
> files, that's all.

...with non-matching user/group