SHA in userdb

Szépe Viktor
Hello!

Would it be possible to document secure hash (SHA-256) support in userdb?

> systempw=$5$....

Produced with mkpasswd --method=sha-256 PASS SALT

Thanks.

SZÉPE Viktor, üzemeltetés
https://github.com/szepeviktor/debian-server-tools/blob/master/CV.md
--
+36-20-4242498  [hidden email]  skype: szepe.viktor
Budapest, III. kerület

Re: SHA in userdb

Sam Varshavchik
SZÉPE Viktor writes:

> Hello!
>
> Would it be possible to document secure hash (SHA-256) support in userdb?
>
>> systempw=$5$....
>
> Produced with mkpasswd --method=sha-256 PASS SALT

What do you mean "document"?

Re: SHA in userdb

Szépe Viktor
Idézem/Quoting Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]>:

> SZÉPE Viktor writes:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Would it be possible to document secure hash (SHA-256) support in userdb?
>>
>>> systempw=$5$....
>>
>> Produced with mkpasswd --method=sha-256 PASS SALT
>
> What do you mean "document"?

Just mention it somewhere.
For example on this man page
http://www.courier-mta.org/authlib/userdbpw.html

SZÉPE Viktor writes:

> Idézem/Quoting Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]>:
>
>> SZÉPE Viktor writes:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to document secure hash (SHA-256) support in userdb?

>>> Produced with mkpasswd --method=sha-256 PASS SALT
>>
>> What do you mean "document"?
>
> Just mention it somewhere.
> For example on this man page
> http://www.courier-mta.org/authlib/userdbpw.html
The userdbpw tool can only generate the '$1$'-formatted passwords.

userdbpw does support the -hmac-sha256 option, which is something else,
but which I'll add to the documentation.

Re: SHA in userdb

Szépe Viktor
Idézem/Quoting Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]>:

> SZÉPE Viktor writes:
>
>> Idézem/Quoting Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]>:

>>> What do you mean "document"?
>>
>> Just mention it somewhere.
>> For example on this man page
>> http://www.courier-mta.org/authlib/userdbpw.html
>
> The userdbpw tool can only generate the '$1$'-formatted passwords.
>
> userdbpw does support the -hmac-sha256 option, which is something else,
> but which I'll add to the documentation.

Thank you.

I think you are able to choose a proper location to mention that
secure sha-256 passwords could be generated by mkpasswd (but not by
userdbpw)