Quantcast

Re: journald logging - for the record

Bernd Plagge
The issue has been resolved. Here are the details for the record.
Goal was: use journald logging without additional syslog/rsyslog files

Linux-version: Debian 8.7 (jessie)

Two conditions must be met:
1) /dev/log  must be a symlink to /run/systemd/journal/dev-log
   (/run/systemd/journal/dev-log did exist but /dev/log was no symlink)
   -> remove /dev/log and create the link
   -> ln -s /run/systemd/jurnal/dev/log /dev/log

2) If you mask syslog-ng or rsyslog and then remove the packages syminks in /etc/systemd/system/ are not removed)
   -> manually remove /etc/systemd/system/syslog-ng -> /dev/null and/or /etc/systemd/system/rsyslog -> /dev/null

Now restart socket and service:
1) restart the journald socket
   -> systemctl restart systemd-journald.socket

2) restart the journald service
   -> systemctl restart systemd-journald.service

Finally check with journalctl -f that logging works.

Cheers,
Bernd

--
Bernd Plagge - プラゲ ベェアント