Quantcast

Re: RBL answers

David Niklas
On 03/10/2017(Fri) 15:35
Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SZÉPE Viktor writes:
>
> > Idézem/Quoting Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > In the long run this will be counterproductive, since the existing
> > > blacklists will now result in a generic "Access denied." bounces,
> > > instead of the blacklist-provided message that will point back to
> > > the blacklist. But, it's their decision to make.
> >
> > I think Courier should issue an A query and if it is positive than a
> > TXT one to get the description.
> >
> > What do you think about it?
>
> That's the other thing that the blacklists definitely don't want:
> excessi ve queries. Making two queries instead of one will put extra
> load on the blacklists, and slow down your mail delivery.
Well isn't that what they want, two quires instead of one?

> That's why I think that getting rid of ANY is counter-productive. But,
> it 's their call to make, so we'll go with that.
Why not tell them that courier has a valid use case for the ANY query?

Thanks,
David

Re: RBL answers

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 24.03.17 16:09, David Niklas wrote:
>Why not tell them that courier has a valid use case for the ANY query?

why do you think they would listen?
They need to learn the hard way...

Emacs is a complicated operating system without good text editor.

Re: RBL answers

David Niklas writes:

> On 03/10/2017(Fri) 15:35
> > That's the other thing that the blacklists definitely don't want:
> > excessi ve queries. Making two queries instead of one will put extra
> > load on the blacklists, and slow down your mail delivery.
> Well isn't that what they want, two quires instead of one?

No. From the looks of it, they want either an A or a TXT query.

> > That's why I think that getting rid of ANY is counter-productive. But,
> > it 's their call to make, so we'll go with that.
> Why not tell them that courier has a valid use case for the ANY query?

I think they're smart enough to understand how DNS works. I don't need to
tell them that.

I can't quite put my finger on why exactly I believe that this would be a
waste of energy, trying to fight it. Call it a sixth sense, of sorts, of me
being involved in this industry for a while.

Re: RBL answers

David Niklas
On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 16:41:35 -0400
Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David Niklas writes:
>
> > On 03/10/2017(Fri) 15:35
> > > That's the other thing that the blacklists definitely don't want:
> > > excessi ve queries. Making two queries instead of one will put extra
> > > load on the blacklists, and slow down your mail delivery.
> > Well isn't that what they want, two quires instead of one?
>
> No. From the looks of it, they want either an A or a TXT query.
>
> > > That's why I think that getting rid of ANY is counter-productive.
> > > But, it 's their call to make, so we'll go with that.
> > Why not tell them that courier has a valid use case for the ANY
> > query?
>
> I think they're smart enough to understand how DNS works. I don't need
> to tell them that.
>
> I can't quite put my finger on why exactly I believe that this would be
> a waste of energy, trying to fight it. Call it a sixth sense, of sorts,
> of me being involved in this industry for a while.

If I brought the matter before them referencing this thread would you
mind?
(Not that I don't have better things to do but it's worth a try...)

Thanks,
David

Re: RBL answers

Sam Varshavchik
David Niklas writes:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 16:41:35 -0400
> Sam Varshavchik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I think they're smart enough to understand how DNS works. I don't need
> > to tell them that.
> >
> > I can't quite put my finger on why exactly I believe that this would be
> > a waste of energy, trying to fight it. Call it a sixth sense, of sorts,
> > of me being involved in this industry for a while.
>
> If I brought the matter before them referencing this thread would you
> mind?
> (Not that I don't have better things to do but it's worth a try...)
Feel free. This is a public mailing list. I always thought that it was quite
silly for anyone on a public mailing list, that's probably archived and
searchable in a bunch of places, to have some kind of an issue with their
public scribblings being forwarded all over the place.