Quantcast

Poll: C++11 compiler support

Sam Varshavchik
The forward match of progress is requiring a clean break from the pre-c++11
days. Under consideration is migrating the courier-unicode library, used by
both Courier and Cone, to use C++11's unicode support only.

I am taking a poll whether there's still any notable platforms where Courier
and Cone is used that's still using an old compiler that does not support
C++11.

According to gcc's documentation, gcc 4.8.1 was the first version with full
C++11 support; but it's likely that older versions of gcc had sufficient
support. gcc 4.5's compliance page gives Unicode string literals as
supported, so I'm fairly confident of sufficient C++11 unicode support at
least in gcc 4.5, at the latest.

I'd like to know if your compiler does not support C++11 unicode strings.
This can be determined with a simple test:

#include <string>

int main()
{
    char32_t c=0;
    std::u32string u;

    return 0;
}

Save the above as "utest.C", then execute either:

g++ -o utest utest.C

or

g++ -std=c++11 -o utest utest.C

If either one completes without errors, you're good. This is if your
compiler is "g++", of course. Certain platforms, like Debian, FreeBSD, and
many others, might have multiple versions of gcc installed; typically as
"g++NN". Use the appropriate command for your gcc.

Re: Poll: C++11 compiler support

Dimitri Maziuk
On 03/05/2017 02:21 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> I am taking a poll whether there's still any notable platforms where
> Courier and Cone is used that's still using an old compiler that does
> not support C++11.

FYI: redhat 5 will be on "life support" until at least 2020. On my
centos 5.11 gcc is 4.1.2.

Of course that doesn't mean running courier, or anything, on
rh/sl/centos 5.x is a good idea at this point.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin

Dimitri Maziuk writes:

> On 03/05/2017 02:21 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
> > I am taking a poll whether there's still any notable platforms where
> > Courier and Cone is used that's still using an old compiler that does
> > not support C++11.
>
> FYI: redhat 5 will be on "life support" until at least 2020. On my
> centos 5.11 gcc is 4.1.2.
>
> Of course that doesn't mean running courier, or anything, on
> rh/sl/centos 5.x is a good idea at this point.
The last update to CentOS5 included gcc44 and gcc44-c++ packages, that
install gcc 4.4. It should still be possible to build courier-unicode, and
the other packages, by manually setting CC and CXX.

Re: Poll: C++11 compiler support

Osamu Aoki

For supported release, Debian has:

Debian oldstable  wheezy = 4.6 and 4.7
Debian stable     jessie = 4.9
Debian testing    stretch = 6.3 (probably becomes stable this month)

On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 03:21:43PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> The forward match of progress is requiring a clean break from the pre-c++11
> days. Under consideration is migrating the courier-unicode library, used by
> both Courier and Cone, to use C++11's unicode support only.
>
> I am taking a poll whether there's still any notable platforms where Courier
> and Cone is used that's still using an old compiler that does not support
> C++11.
>
> According to gcc's documentation, gcc 4.8.1 was the first version with full
> C++11 support; but it's likely that older versions of gcc had sufficient
> support. gcc 4.5's compliance page gives Unicode string literals as
> supported, so I'm fairly confident of sufficient C++11 unicode support at
> least in gcc 4.5, at the latest.

Then OK for all released and actively maintained versions.

Thanks.

Osamu