Quantcast

New releases of courier packages.

Sam Varshavchik
Download: http://www.courier-mta.org/download.html

New releases, of courier, courier-unicode, courier-imap, sqwebmail,
maildrop, and cone packages.

The courier-unicode update is required by all other packages.

Changes:

• Compatibility with LibreSSL.

• A use-after-free bug in sqwebmail was fixed; occurs only in case of a
hardware disk failure, or running out of disk space.

• Added makeimapaccess script, implementing an access file for the IMAP
server, like makesmtpaccess implements one for SMTP.

• Other minor build script fixes.

• Renamed the header files and the library name used by the Courier unicode
library, to avoid conflicts with another library. Internal reorganization of
the git repositories: removed the clean/smudge filter from the repo that are
used to stamp sysconftool-processed configuration files. If anyone has a
copy of the repo that was checked out using the README/INSTALLME script, run
"git config --unset-all filter.keywords.clean" and "git config --unset-all
filter.keywords.smudge" on the repo, and in each project's libs
subdirectory. Any transient errors, after this commit is pulled, can be
fixed by running "autoconf" and "./config.status --recheck", in the
subdirectory that errored out.

• Handle the date "01-Jan-1970" in IMAP searches.

Re: New releases of courier packages.

miro
See further below.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 08:57:35PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Download: http://www.courier-mta.org/download.html
>
> New releases, of courier, courier-unicode, courier-imap, sqwebmail,
> maildrop, and cone packages.
>
> The courier-unicode update is required by all other packages.
>
> Changes:
>
> • Compatibility with LibreSSL.
>
> • A use-after-free bug in sqwebmail was fixed; occurs only in case of a
> hardware disk failure, or running out of disk space.
>
> • Added makeimapaccess script, implementing an access file for the IMAP
> server, like makesmtpaccess implements one for SMTP.
>
> • Other minor build script fixes.
>
> • Renamed the header files and the library name used by the Courier unicode
> library, to avoid conflicts with another library. Internal reorganization of
> the git repositories: removed the clean/smudge filter from the repo that are
> used to stamp sysconftool-processed configuration files. If anyone has a
> copy of the repo that was checked out using the README/INSTALLME script, run
> "git config --unset-all filter.keywords.clean" and "git config --unset-all
> filter.keywords.smudge" on the repo, and in each project's libs
> subdirectory. Any transient errors, after this commit is pulled, can be
> fixed by running "autoconf" and "./config.status --recheck", in the
> subdirectory that errored out.
>
> • Handle the date "01-Jan-1970" in IMAP searches.

This is what happened this morning to me:

$  getmail --fingerprint -r config/mirorovis\@croatiafidelishr 2>&1 | tee .getmail/log/getmail_`date +%y%m%d_%H%M%S`_`hostname`.log ;
getmail version 4.48.0
Copyright (C) 1998-2012 Charles Cazabon.  Licensed under the GNU GPL version 2.
SimpleIMAPSSLRetriever:[hidden email]@lin16.mojsite.com:993:
Enter password for SimpleIMAPSSLRetriever:[hidden email]@lin16.mojsite.com:993:
IMAP SSL connection <imaplib.IMAP4_SSL instance at 0x3a8b8a013b0> established with fingerprint c9c83d6ecf350841c16e32ca990dccc66b7beafcebe2c6dc6853a279e59c8ed3 using cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:TLSv1/SSLv3:256
  msg 1/3 (3106 bytes) from <[hidden email]> delivered to MDA_external command maildrop (), deleted
  msg 2/3 (7124 bytes) from <[hidden email]> delivered to MDA_external command maildrop (), deleted
Delivery error (command maildrop 5600 wrote to stderr: mail: /usr/sbin/sendmail: Permission denied
Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 1)
  msg 3/3 (14436 bytes) from <[hidden email]>, delivery error (command maildrop 5600 wrote to stderr: mail: /usr/sbin/sendmail: Permission denied
Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 1)
  3 messages (24666 bytes) retrieved, 0 skipped
$

I have posted it in its entirety, as there is, in this particular instance,
litte which would be unrelated to the issue there or that wouldn't be needed
circumstantially to consider the issue in question, which is (IIUC, but do
correct me if I'm wrong:

maildrop being somehow talked/nagged/<other action here> into trying to send
mail (probably, but not certainly, the one that it was being delivering).

I have noticed this issue before, occasionally.

The system that I use is: Gentoo, at testing (~amd64), so not necessarily
stable, but it does work like stable almost completely all the time.

The getmail is:

$ getmail --version
getmail 4.48.0
$

and the maildrop... no --version, no -V options, so I'll give this:

# equery c maildrop
*maildrop-2.6.0 (25 Sep 2012)

  25 Sep 2012; Eray Aslan <[hidden email]> +maildrop-2.6.0.ebuild:
  Version bump

  05 Jul 2012; Jeroen Roovers <[hidden email]> maildrop-2.5.5-r1.ebuild:
  Stable for HPPA (bug #413597).

  17 Jun 2012; Raúl Porcel <[hidden email]> maildrop-2.5.5-r1.ebuild:
  alpha/ia64/s390/sh/sparc stable wrt #413597

  29 May 2012; Brent Baude <[hidden email]> maildrop-2.5.5-r1.ebuild:
  Marking maildrop-2.5.5-r1 ppc for bug 413597
#

which tells me I have to file a bug with Gentoo, as this issue has been fixed,
IIUC, a few months ago, as the author informed us on this list about the
use-after-free bug that was fixed.

http://sourceforge.net/p/courier/mailman/courier-maildrop/thread/cone.1430182655.233366.31648.1004%40monster.email-scan.com/#msg34063125

(
I really hope, but am uncertain that this saussage of a url will be sent
correctly, so you can search yourself, it was this message by the subject and
author:

[maildropl] New releases of courier packages.
From: Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@co...> - 2015-04-28 00:57:44

where you can find:

• A use-after-free bug in sqwebmail was fixed; occurs only in case of a
hardware disk failure, or running out of disk space.

Pls. do see further above, where I kindly ask to be corrected if I'm wrong.

end of the citation
)

...Sorry, why has it taken me so long? I'll send all this te3xt as a reply to
that email...

So, if I'm not wrong, and if other Gentoo users of Maildrop are eager for this
issue to be fixed, they can investigate themselves and file a bug themselves,
as I can not promise to be able to do it very soon. I might, but I might not
do it at all. Of poor health and also busy these days I am.

Regards!

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia

Re: New releases of courier packages. 2nd sending

miro
[[This mail hasn't appeared on:
http://sourceforge.net/p/courier/mailman/courier-maildrop/?viewmonth=201508
after more then 30 minutes, whichever the reason. Resending.]]

> [...]

  17 Jun 2012; Raúl Porcel <[hidden email]> maildrop-2.5.5-r1.ebuild:
  alpha/ia64/s390/sh/sparc stable wrt #413597

  29 May 2012; Brent Baude <[hidden email]> maildrop-2.5.5-r1.ebuild:
  Marking maildrop-2.5.5-r1 ppc for bug 413597
#

which tells me I have to file a bug with Gentoo, as this issue has been fixed,
IIUC, a few months ago, as the author informed us on this list about the
use-after-free bug that was fixed.

http://sourceforge.net/p/courier/mailman/courier-maildrop/thread/cone.1430182655.233366.31648.1004%40monster.email-scan.com/#msg34063125

(
I really hope, but am uncertain that this saussage of a url will be sent
correctly, so you can search yourself, it was this message by the subject and
author:

[maildropl] New releases of courier packages.

Just to not leave the Courier-Maildrop users uninformed, esp. Gentooers,
I've posted, for now, on Gentoo Forums:

use-after-free bug maildrop still in portage
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1027610.html

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 01:32:13PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Just to not leave the Courier-Maildrop users uninformed, esp. Gentooers,
> I've posted, for now, on Gentoo Forums:
>
> use-after-free bug maildrop still in portage
> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1027610.html
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:46:27AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> > See further below.
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 08:57:35PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > > Download: http://www.courier-mta.org/download.html
> > >
> > > New releases, of courier, courier-unicode, courier-imap, sqwebmail,
> > > maildrop, and cone packages.
> > >
> > > • A use-after-free bug in sqwebmail was fixed; occurs only in case of a
> > > hardware disk failure, or running out of disk space.

> > So, if I'm not wrong, and if other Gentoo users of Maildrop are eager for this
> > issue to be fixed, they can investigate themselves and file a bug themselves,
> > as I can not promise to be able to do it very soon. I might, but I might not
> > do it at all. Of poor health and also busy these days I am.

I was mostly wrong, and I'm glad I found out myself that I was.  In
short, my ~/.mailfilter calls /usr/bin/mail upon creating new folders,
which was the case here, where I received reply from
[hidden email] for which it wanted to created a folder, but
couldn't because of my grsec-hardened kernel RBAC policy that I need to
fix for that. Grsec RBAC is easy... for really advanced users ;-) and
I'm still struggling with it a little...

I'll finish explaining this issue on the forums.grsecurity.net and it
will be linked from the Gentoo Forum topic that I gave the link in
previous email, and is also found in top of this email.

It is quite possible that for the maildrop:

https://packages.gentoo.org/package/mail-filter/maildrop

there is no need for particular update (although I don't know that), as
(although I don't know that) the version is likely (because the Gentoo
guys likely know that) just fine.

I hope I have not caused much if a disruption.

Regards!

On 150827-15:45+0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 01:32:13PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Just to not leave the Courier-Maildrop users uninformed, esp. Gentooers,
> > I've posted, for now, on Gentoo Forums:
> >
> > use-after-free bug maildrop still in portage
> > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1027610.html
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:46:27AM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > See further below.

> I was mostly wrong, and I'm glad I found out myself that I was.  In
> short, my ~/.mailfilter calls /usr/bin/mail upon creating new folders,

I explained in details what happened; it's non-related, but for the
curious it can be read at:

I need to fix RBAC policy for maildrop
http://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4260
> It is quite possible that for the maildrop:
>
> https://packages.gentoo.org/package/mail-filter/maildrop
>
> there is no need for particular update (although I don't know that), as

No, the devs didn't think so. They have found time in their busy
schedules, and there has recently been the new, updated maildrop
package available in Gentoo.

I recently found out about it and posted about it:
(the post is on the page already linked previously, but retitled)
Maildrop updated after a little false alarm ;-)
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1027610.html#78199

It is based on the original package:
maildrop-2.8.3.tar.bz2

and only the patch:
maildrop-1.8.1-disable-fam.patch
applied, in case one wishes to disable fam (which, e.g. I didn't do).

So I'm kind of glad that my wrong assumptions have, apparently, helped
to produce a good result, the new maildrop for Gentooers.

Still, sorry again for the disruption that I caused. I hope it wasn't so
excessive.

Regards!
--
Miroslav Rovis