Future of Courier MTA

Szépe Viktor

Hello!

Honestly I do not know who uses Courier.
Maybe no one knows.

1)
I am a Debian-only user and it seems no one is maintaining courier-mta.

2)
I've never met Exim or Postfix so a switch is not an option for me.

3)
I don't use software on Debian without packaging. They are loose files
without any control.
(That is why I run my own public repo)

4)
What are my options for 2017 when I probably switch to Debian stretch?
Are big companies with big $$$ using Courier?
Is anyone willing to cooperate with me on fixing Debian-related errors?
https://github.com/szepeviktor/courier

SZÉPE Viktor
https://github.com/szepeviktor/debian-server-tools/blob/master/CV.md
--
+36-20-4242498  [hidden email]  skype: szepe.viktor
Budapest, III. kerület

Re: Future of Courier MTA

Gordon Messmer-2
On 02/16/2017 03:36 PM, SZÉPE Viktor wrote:
> Is anyone willing to cooperate with me on fixing Debian-related errors?
> https://github.com/szepeviktor/courier

Well, I just sent some more patches to the FreeBSD maintainer to bring
the package up to date.  I think I can put in some effort to help
maintain Courier for Debian.  Is Ondřej still the package maintainer?

Re: Future of Courier MTA

Szépe Viktor
Idézem/Quoting Gordon Messmer <[hidden email]>:

> On 02/16/2017 03:36 PM, SZÉPE Viktor wrote:
>> Is anyone willing to cooperate with me on fixing Debian-related errors?
>> https://github.com/szepeviktor/courier
>

> Well, I just sent some more patches to the FreeBSD maintainer to bring
> the package up to date.  I think I can put in some effort to help
> maintain Courier for Debian.  Is Ondřej still the package maintainer?

Thank you!

See https://github.com/oerdnj/deb.sury.org/issues/435#issuecomment-277640732
and https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=823807

Do you have a GitHub user?
Or would you prefer to be an official Debian maintainer?

SZÉPE Viktor
https://github.com/szepeviktor/debian-server-tools/blob/master/CV.md
--
+36-20-4242498  [hidden email]  skype: szepe.viktor
Budapest, III. kerület

Re: Future of Courier MTA

Mark Constable
On 19/02/17 10:14, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> Is anyone willing to cooperate with me on fixing Debian-related
>> errors? https://github.com/szepeviktor/courier
>
> Well, I just sent some more patches to the FreeBSD maintainer to
> bring the package up to date. I think I can put in some effort to
> help maintain Courier for Debian. Is Ondřej still the package
> maintainer?

Not really, this explains Ondřej's position...

https://sourceforge.net/p/courier/mailman/message/35535235/

Re: Future of Courier MTA

Michelle Konzack
Hello *,

On 2017-02-19 10:45:07 Mark Constable hacked into the keyboard:
> Not really, this explains Ondřej's position...
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/courier/mailman/message/35535235/

F..k! -- Unfortunately I am currently in seting up a Bio Farm in Estonia
and not availlable  for  bigger  development  and  packing   things  and
testing, exactly, not before the main house is  constructed  and  I  can
live permanently there, -- which mean, not before summer 2018!   Whoops!

I run the courier suite on all of my  47  servers  which  are  currently
realy bad and lousy maintained.

I would be definitively willing to help out, but while  switching  every
month permanently between France, Germany, Pologne and  Estonia,  it  is
currently impossible.

However, I am ongoing to install a new cerver cloud at  "WaveCom AS"  in
Tallinn/Estonia and I can do some testing on this system since  my  main
mailserver will be still online up to end of the year.

Greetings and nice sunday

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: Future of Courier MTA

Gordon Messmer-2
On 02/18/2017 04:45 PM, Mark Constable wrote:
Is Ondřej still the package
maintainer?
Not really, this explains Ondřej's position...

I'd seen that, but I'm not intimately familiar with the Debian maintenance process.  I'm not sure if, to adopt the package, we should contact Ondřej, or if there's another path to adoption.

Re: Future of Courier MTA

Alessandro Vesely
On Sun 19/Feb/2017 20:32:00 +0100 Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 02/18/2017 04:45 PM, Mark Constable wrote:
>>> Is Ondřej still the package
>>> maintainer?
>> Not really, this explains Ondřej's position...
>
> I'd seen that, but I'm not intimately familiar with the Debian maintenance
> process.  I'm not sure if, to adopt the package, we should contact Ondřej, or
> if there's another path to adoption.

The process is briefly described here:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#adopting

A lot of reading seems to be necessary in order to get acquainted with Debian
procedures and policies.  See also: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer

Those manuals advertise a couple of lists:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/

I suggest that those of us who are interested in Debian subscribe there, at
least for a while, even if one of those two is quite lively.  I just did, and
will be interested to read messages having "courier-mta" in the subject.

Ale