Courier MLM does not allow "post only"

Michelle Konzack
Hello *,

I have a PHP5 script, which use IMAP to access a Listfolder and build an
index from the subjects (does not work correctly yet) for a Forum. I can
click on a topic and get a DATE sorted list of messages.  Later  I  will
also add the body of it.

This @#!@ does not really work, if stupid  users  take  a  mailing  list
message and change the subject line to post a new topic!

I also discovered some seconds ago, that users can not set the  list  to
"post only", mean, they will continue getimg message from the List, even
if they can read the message other wise, e.g.  from  the  archive  or  a
second maila ccount.

Any suggestions whats going wrong here?

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: Courier MLM does not allow "post only"

Michelle Konzack
Additional question:

Is it possibel, to add an unique THREAD ID to messages?

I mean, forcing mail users to replay correctly to an EXISTING topic
or open a NEW topic.

If not, how can I filter incoming ML messages through procmail?

It seems, the MLM does not work the same way as the rest of courier.

Michelle Konzack writes:

> Hello *,
>
> I have a PHP5 script, which use IMAP to access a Listfolder and build an
> index from the subjects (does not work correctly yet) for a Forum. I can
> click on a topic and get a DATE sorted list of messages.  Later  I  will
> also add the body of it.
>
> This @#!@ does not really work, if stupid  users  take  a  mailing  list
> message and change the subject line to post a new topic!

This is not limited to mailing lists. Usenet cl00bies will often do that,
too.

There is no workaround, aside from public scolding.

> I also discovered some seconds ago, that users can not set the  list  to
> "post only", mean, they will continue getimg message from the List, even
> if they can read the message other wise, e.g.  from  the  archive  or  a
> second maila ccount.
>
> Any suggestions whats going wrong here?

Pure post-only mail aliases do not exist in couriermlm. couriermlm's write-
only aliases are attached to another subscribed address, which continues to
get list mail. Both the subscribed address, and the alias, can be used to
post to the list. When the subscribed address is removed from the list, the
write-only alias goes with it.

Michelle Konzack writes:

> Additional question:
>
> Is it possibel, to add an unique THREAD ID to messages?
>
> I mean, forcing mail users to replay correctly to an EXISTING topic
> or open a NEW topic.
>
> If not, how can I filter incoming ML messages through procmail?
>
> It seems, the MLM does not work the same way as the rest of courier.
In what way? couriermlm does not keep track of previously sent messages. It
does not search a message's References:, for previously sent messages. The
threading you see in your IMAP client is part of the IMAP specification.
Although the server is responsible for the threading, Courier-IMAP has to do
it by the IMAP spec, and this is the only exception to that.

If you want that level of control over a mailing list, requiring specific
actions to reply to existing messages, or creating a new thread, you're
really talking about some web-based forum software. You can't meaningfully
achieve such level of control over plain, garden-variety, email. Anyone can
instruct their mail client to reply to an existing message, delete
everything, and write a new mail from scratch, then send it off. Or, cut,
and paste a received message into a new mail.

There's little that a mailing list manager can do about it, without engaging
in complicated, overengineered, content inspection; attempting to
heuristically determine whether the contents of a given message logically
belong to some existing thread.