456 Address temporarily unavailable

Lucio Crusca-2
Hello,

I'm trying to configure a new Courier-MTA server at
maxwell.virtualbit.it. It's a Debian 9 Stretch system behind a NAT (kvm
virtualization) and the installed Courier is the Debian packaged version
(0.76.3).

I already have another Courier-MTA working at nmx.sulweb.org. This is a
production server and it is running Debian 8 Jessie and Courier 0.73.1.

The new server (maxwell) is hosting one domain only
(studiobertolotto.org) and 6 accounts in that domain, but it is
configured to host several domains with virtual accounts. userdb file
holds the accounts, no sql nor ldap databases here.

The MX record for studiobertolotto.org does currently not point maxwell,
so that I can test it before making it a production server (the current
MX record points to yet another production server which is not
nmx.sulweb.org and it runs Postfix). The 6 accounts maildirs have been
populated with real content using imapsync.

The current production server (nmx.sulweb.org) does NOT host
studiobertolotto.org, and I use it in my email client as smarthost to
send emails. It has the following in /etc/courier/esmtproutes:

studiobertolotto.org: maxwell.virtualbit.it

so that when I try to send a test message to one of the 6 accounts, the
message actually gets routed to the new server instead of the real one.

Now for the problem. Out of 6 accounts. 5 do work correctly. For one of
them Courier replies "456 Address temporarily unavailable".
"courier clear" on maxwell does not change the reply I get afterwards.

The only difference I could find between that account and the others, is
that the non working account maildir contains worth of 21GB of messages,
while others are much smaller. However I've no quota configured, no -q
option ever used to maildirmake, and virtual accounts, so no
filesystem-level quota is possible.

What else in my setup can cause a 456 reply?

Re: 456 Address temporarily unavailable

Sam Varshavchik
Lucio Crusca writes:

> Now for the problem. Out of 6 accounts. 5 do work correctly. For one of
> them Courier replies "456 Address temporarily unavailable".
> "courier clear" on maxwell does not change the reply I get afterwards.

The 456 occurs only after a previous mail delivery failure. It's a temporary
block on an email address that failed delivery. There's nothing to be done
about it, the only thing you can do is address the original delivery failure.

You need to carefully examine your logs and locate the original delivery
failure. The "courier clear" command takes an argument, either the email
address or "courier clear all".

The email address given to "courier clear" may not necessarily be what you
think it is when it is a local address, as a result of mail aliasing. So use
"courier clear all" to remove all addresses, then make a delivery attempt,
and carefully observe what the logs say.

Re: 456 Address temporarily unavailable

Gordon Messmer-2
On 05/13/2017 12:53 AM, Lucio Crusca wrote:
> Now for the problem. Out of 6 accounts. 5 do work correctly. For one of
> them Courier replies "456 Address temporarily unavailable".
> "courier clear" on maxwell does not change the reply I get afterwards.

In case it helps: you probably want to look at log entries matching
"courierlocal:" and the address that's failing in /var/log/maillog (or
Debian's equivalent.  I'm unsure if they use that path).  You're looking
for a failure that occurred before the earliest of your 456 errors, so
it might be useful to identify when the first of those occurred.

grep courierlocal: /var/log/maillog | grep address # look for a failure
earlier than the first 456